Mangia’s Ultimate Veggie Burger Recipe
Our veggie burgers hit every satisfying, savory note with a hearty mix of pearl barley, chickpeas, mushrooms and crispy panic. For the sturdiest patties, evenly distribute the panko by stirring the patty mixture until very well combined.
- 4 cups of water
- 1 tbsp plus 1/4 tsp kosher salt divided
- 1/3 cup uncooked pearl barley, rinsed
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 lb fresh button mushrooms, stemmed and quartered
- 2 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 6 tbsp plus 1 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1/2 tbsp black pepper
- 1 head garlic , halved crosswise
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and shredded (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 small beets, peeled and shredded (out 3/4 cup)
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 (15 1/2 – oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2/3 cup gluten-free panko (such as 4C Gluten Free Panko Plain Bread Crumbs) or regular panko
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 Tbsp. whole-grain or Dijon mustard
Toasted hamburger buns, vegan mayo, butter lettuce, pickles, sliced red onions, sliced tomatoes, and vegan cheese for serving
- Preheat oven to 400F. Bring 4 cups water and 1 tablespoon salt to boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high. Add parsley and bay leaf ; return to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, undisturbed, until barley is al dente, 25 to 30 minutes. Drain well, and transfer to a large bowl; remove and discard bay leaf. Let cool slightly about 15 mins.
- While barley cooks, toss together mushrooms, tamarind, 2 tbsp oil ,pepper and remaining 1/4 tbsp salt on a large rimmed baking sheet; spread in an even layer. Place garlic head halves on a sheet of aluminum foil and drizzle with 1 tbsp oil. Tightly wrap foil around garlic and place on baking sheet next to mushrooms. Roast in preheated oven until mushrooms are browned and beginning to dry out, about 40 minutes, stirring twice during cook time. Remove from oven; let cool on baking sheet 10 minutes. (Do not turn oven off). Remove and discard foil from garlic, squeeze garlic cloves from skins, and set aside. Discard garlic skins.
- Transfer cooled barley to a food processor; pulse until roughly chopped, about 15 pulses. Transfer to a large bowl ; add carrots, beets, cumin, and paprika. Transfer roasted mushrooms to food processor; pulse until finely chopped about 10 pulses. Transfer mushrooms to barley mixture. Add chickpeas to food processor; pulse until roughly chopped, about 10 pulses. Transfer 1 cup chopped chickpeas to barley mixture. Add roasted garlic cloves to remaining chickpeas in food processor; process until smooth about 1 minute, stopping to scrape down sides of bowl as needed. Transfer chickpea – garlic mixture to barley mixture.
- Add panko, walnuts and mustard to barley mixture and stir until well combined. Shape mixture into 8 (1/2 inch thick) patties (about 1/2 cup each)
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium. Add 4 patties, cook until golden brown and crispy on both sides, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer seared patties to a large baking sheet. Repeat process with remaining 2 tablespoons oil and remaining 4 patties. Bake patties at 400 F until tops and sides are crispy – about 10 mins. Serve on buns with mayonnaise, lettuce, pickles, red onion, tomato and vegan cheese.